Do you know how to shop for a car shelter in Montreal? With winter fast approaching, it’s important to choose your shelter well.
Winter is synonymous with joy and happiness. It’s the ideal season to go skating in the Old Port or to go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. You can even have some memorable moments playing hockey on a rink in a park with a few of your friends.
Unfortunately, winter is not all about beauty and magic. The snow still must be shoveled out of your driveway. Shoveling before going to work is a considerable waste of time and energy. Besides these disadvantages, shoveling is also dangerous. It is responsible for injuries and can even cause heart attacks.
Some choose to buy a snowblower to remedy the situation. Unfortunately, you cannot run a snowblower over the car to remove the snow from it. The best solution remains to obtain a winter shelter for your driveway. This will allow you to keep your peace of mind, as well as saving you time and energy!
Buying a winter shelter is not an investment to be taken lightly. That’s why it’s important to know how to shop for your car shelter in Montreal. so here’s some good advice from our experts to properly shop for your winter shelter.
How to shop for your car shelter in Montreal: the regulations
What are the municipal bylaws in Montreal?
Are car shelters allowed in your municipality?
Most of the municipalities in the City of Montreal allow the installation of temporary shelters. On the other hand, some municipalities prohibit it. They are :
- Plateau Mont-Royal
Do I need a permit to install a car shelter?
In the vast majority of municipalities, no, you don’t need a permit. On the other hand, some municipalities require it. Here are some municipalities where you will need to obtain a permit from the city to install your temporary winter shelter.
- Dorval, $10 cost
Our advice is to consult your municipality’s website. All you have to do is go to your favorite search engine and type in “car shelter by-law” and the name of your municipality or neighborhood.
What you need to know about the regulations
One of the most important things to remember when it comes to car shelters is the installation and uninstallation dates. The date varies from municipality to municipality, but it’s always between October 15 and November 1 for installation. For uninstallation, it’s usually between April 15 and May 1, depending on your city or district. Warning! Fines range from $100 to $1,000 if your shelter is not uninstalled by the prescribed date. Avoid unpleasant surprises by checking your city’s website to make sure you get everything done on time.
When installing a shelter, also take the time to measure the distance between your sidewalk and your shelter. Most municipalities require a minimum distance of 0.5 m, but some municipalities go up to 3 m. Therefore, it’s important to check your municipality’s regulations.
Now that you know the rules, it’s time to learn how to shop for your Montreal car shelter.
How to shop for your car shelter in Montreal: our advice
Rent or buy your temporary shelter?
It depends on your profile and whether you prefer to buy or rent, in general. With a rental, costs vary between $300 and $400 annually. In the short term, this solution may seem attractive, but it’s expensive in the long term.
If you still choose the rental, take the time to read your contract carefully to avoid unpleasant surprises. Check if installation, disassembly and storage are included in your price.
In the long run, the best solution is always to buy. Whether you do the installation and uninstallation yourself or call experts to do it, it’s more economical to buy your car shelter.
How to shop for a car shelter in Montreal: a big box store or specialist?
How to shop for a car shelter in Montreal? Our experts strongly suggest avoiding shelters from big box stores.
The price of a temporary shelter varies enormously. In big box stores, you will be able to find a shelter for less than $500. On the other hand, even if the price is tempting, remember that these shelters are not designed with a long lifespan. Plus, you’ll either have to install and uninstall it yourself or pay someone to do it. Is it profitable?
Besides, you won’t be able to receive advice or information on your neighborhood’s rules by purchasing your shelter at Costco or Canadian Tire. Employees are not trained to guide you with questions like this.
By turning toward a custom-made solution, you are sure to have a shelter that will last several decades if it’s well maintained. Plus, since installation and disassembly are handled by experts, you won’t even have to worry about the rules. Our experts will take care of everything for you.
What to look for when buying a car shelter?
- The canvas. Ask if the canvas is made of polyethylene and where the canvas is sewn. It can significantly vary the price you will pay. Some companies turn to other countries to assemble the canvases. At Groupe Bellon Prestige, we are proud to assemble our canvasses here, in Quebec.
- The structure. Usually, the structures are made of galvanized steel. The thickness of your structure varies depending on the manufacturer.
- Installation. In a big box store, installation is your responsibility. Ideally, you have 2 or 3 friends ready to help. With a company like Groupe Bellon Prestige, the installation is provided by the company.
- Ground anchors. To avoid injury or a collapse of the car shelter on your car, the car shelter must be well anchored. In some cases, cement blocks may be necessary, or a “Jumper” type anchor. We recommend that you entrust this task to an expert who can advise you on the best anchorage for your type of soil.
- Storage. The snow is starting to melt and the uninstall date is approaching? Whether you bought your shelter custom-made or from a Canadian Tire, you will need to think about where you store your canvas and structure. This area must be warm and dry to keep the canvas in good condition.If you don’t have enough room, don’t worry. By doing business with Groupe Bellon Prestige, you will have access to a canvas and structure storage service. At the end of winter, we dismantle your shelter and put it back in one of our heated, secure and insured locations. We also do canvas inspection, so we can ensure a repair if there is a hole in the canvas.
- Guarantees. Ask your specialist questions. Ask them how long the canvas and structure are insured. Big box store clerks may not be able to inform you of these answers.
Where to buy your car shelter in Montreal?
To buy a custom-made car shelter, trust Groupe Bellon Prestige. We are a reference in winter shelters and custom awnings since 1895.
Do you want to buy it with us? Nothing’s easier. All you have to do is submit a quote request online or by phone. Then, an expert comes and takes the measurements. As soon as our quote is accepted, our craftsmen get to work. We ensure the conceptualization of winter shelters and the installation.
We also offer a turnkey service. Our company provides installation, dismantling, as well as storage of your shelter. When the snow starts to fall, we take care of coming to install your shelter every year.
Need more help on how to shop for your temporary shelter in Montreal? Contact us. We will be happy to chat with you.